Bees, Knees, and Seeds

Today's exercise was provided by the garden.  I needed to find a space for all these lovelies to settle in before winter.




Sometimes that required crawling under and around perennials to yank out weeds that had gotten a good foothold in the garden.

(I always seem forget to wear appropriate clothes while gardening.  I just start when I'm in the mood, regardless of footwear or some other such thing.)

Part of the crawling about was also because the rose bush has wicked spines and the agastache is still covered in bees. As much as I like the bees, I also try to be respectful of their space while I'm crashing about.



Still, I'm fascinated by these little creatures.  I'm forever taking pictures of them while they float about the garden.

I also set out to pull out some swamp milkweed that had suffered a tremendous aphid infestation this summer.  Somehow the natural aphid predators never discovered them.  I figured the plants were toast.



But there was no need.  The milkweed had survived the aphids and are now starting to release their seeds.  This pod structure is ingenious.  Look at the way the seeds are all stacked up and waiting for a breeze.


The garden is a marvelous place.

Comments