Another Lumpy

I finished the baby quilt top in time for the baptism. The parents loved it and were so thankful and grateful for it.


I went home happy. Until my youngest said, "It's way too small.  You need to make that thing bigger.  It'll work when he's small, but what about when he's home sick from school?  He needs his own Lumpy."

Lumpy, in case you didn't know, is a quilt I made when I first started quilting. I disparagingly called it Lumpy because the quilting was somewhat erratic and it didn't lie flat. But that didn't matter; it became a much-loved quilt.  In the years that followed, each of our children used Lumpy when they were sick.  It was the "it's okay if you throw up on this" quilt.  The one that covered them while they watched videos and spilled chicken soup.  The one that got soft from being wrapped around sleeping bodies.  It's a favorite quilt, along with "Picnic", the one we always took outside to sit on.  That one has grass and ketchup stains that won't come out.

"Lumpy", the original 
My daughter was right.

So now my nephew's baby quilt is growing.  I'm adding borders so that, hopefully, this quilt will be big enough to cuddle under for a few years.  I've already told the parents that I don't want this thing to sit folded in the closet.  It's not too precious to use.  I'd like to see it softened and frayed.  They've agreed.

Here comes Lumpy Redux.




Comments

kathy loomis said…
I think most of the black-and-white newborn quilts I have given to babies have graduated to be doll quilts or placemats. I usually make a bigger quilt in color when they get older.

(Except for my Vivian, almost 2 1/2 years old and no quilt of her own yet. She does have four or five old child-size quilts that I gave her from my old stash.)
Vivien Zepf said…
Oh wow, that's impressive. Yeah, a second quilt isn't happening anytime soon. I haven't even made a quilt for each of my own children yet.....
kathy loomis said…
I don't think I made quilts for either of my own children. Probably just as well, because at that time I didn't make very good quilts.