Universa

In the most recent issue of Quilting Arts Magazine, ten fabulous entries in the "Rock On" challenge were published. Of course, I had hoped my entry would be chosen, but it was not. I had decided not to reveal it here, on the small chance it would be selected. But now that it's "in the clear", I'd like to share it with you.

"Show us with fabric and stitch what your favorite musicians and/or lyrics have meant to you" was charge of the challenge. Well, one of my all-time favorite songs is "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. I heard it a lot as my husband and I were dating and nothing seemed more romantic to me than the song's phrase, "In your eyes, I am complete". For my challenge piece, I sponge painted a piece of muslin to look a bit like stone. Then I quilted over a drawing I had made of an angel -- to look like the angel Gabriel, but holding a name sign "Peter" for a fun twist on the musician's name -- and a pair of eyes. Since my angel also looked rather like a Roman statue, I stamped "I am complete" in Latin along the side: Ego sum universa. I only tore away some of the paper drawing to add contrast to the piece; I went over it all with gel medium to make sure it didn't tear.

What do you think?



On a side note, our children are off from school for spring break, so there won't be any posts next week. We'll be playin'!

Comments

I love the personal symbolism of this piece and what it means to YOU. It is very exciting watching you play with so many techniques. It is a winner to me!
Norma Schlager said…
I totally agree with Susan. Your Angel Gabriel is terrific, too.
Judy Alexander said…
This is also one of my all time favorite songs. What a great quilt. I always wonder how they make their choices at QA. Of the 10 quilts in QA there were 4 I really didn't care for but as we know art is subjective and everyone has their own taste. I sent in 2 entries and they were not chosen either... will post them on my blog.
Melly Testa said…
I love the detail in the angel and your use of alternative materials. And really good job on the stone look.