Procrastination

Hello to everyone who's been patient while I haven't been blogging. As expected, August was a wash-out for me. What I didn't anticipate was how hard it would be to get back into the swing of things. I definately suffered from a creative block and the longer I didn't do anything, the more I procrastinated about creating. Has that ever happened to you?

Well, it happened to me. This morning, I finally put my foot down and went upstairs to my sewing space. I was hoping to make something meaningful for today -- September 11th -- but everything was inadequate. The best I could do was reflect on the events seven years ago and be thankful for all the blessings I have.

But what I was able to create were three "missing" journal quilts in an effort to catch up. Since I was a bit uncertain about jumping back on the creative wagon again, I kept it simple and personal. The first journal, called "Burn", is an abstract relating to my daughter's burn this summer. The sickle shapes are tracings of the burn that remains on my daughter's leg. The red, pink and white are representative of the stages of the injury we've been through: nasty, icky red with blisters; shiny, pink new skin emerging, and finally, white, the scar we hope will fade. A bit of an ugly first effort; ah well.


The second piece is called "Tear". I wrote my eldest daughter's foot diagnosis all over red fabric and then cut out the center to represent the tear in her tendon. I like the hole in the middle. I may do that elsewhere....


For the third piece I used a bit of the fabric I painted in Rayna Gillman's class this summer. I added a bit of blue metallic paint using bubble wrap, then put a few chicken scratch stitches here and there -- plus some cross stitch -- for texture. It was done without any real plan so I call it "Spontaneous". This was fun.


Thanks again to everyone for being so patient while I was absent from blogging. Sheesh, I sure delayed my return by being such a scaredy-cat / having such a mental block about creating again! I'd welcome any thoughts and creative exercises you can suggest to help me get jump started next time I'm out of the game a bit. It was so much fun today to "do" again, but it was personally intimidating before hand; I haven't a clue why.

Comments

Rayna said…
I know just what you mean about being blocked. I went for a long time without being able to do anything and then all of a sudden, a whole bunch of things emerged. Sometimes those seeds just have to germinate till they are ready to sprout.
i love all three journals, but my absolute fave is the tear. very strong and graphic, yet personal...
i just went on a cleaning/organizing spree in my studio in hopes that it will spur me towards creativity..
Oh yes indeed, do I understand that "block" I was out of the studio for nearly 5 months until this month! Yes, there were real reasons that kept me away from creating, nevertheless, the longer I stayed away and walked by my studio instead of going in...the harder it got to reenter. BUT, it is amazing how just like the seasons change here in NY, I am aware of the creative cycles I also go through. Sometimes, I believe it is important to respect these cycles and trust that when you are ready...the art will come. With that said, I have found it invaluable to seize these times, and try to discipline myself to work in my studio on a regular basis and commit to it. It helps witht he "block" and sets boundaries within which I can create.