I'm Glad

I went upstairs this afternoon to catch up on my journal quilts. I decided to do a little painting since I didn't have a game plan or any inspiration. I pulled out a cardboard sheet that used to hold game pieces to use as a stencil. I couldn't find my plastic brayer, so I took out a fluffy one typically used for house painting. Purple, green and yellow went into the pan and off I went. Alas, unless you use a lot of paint, a fluffy brayer will soak it up, not spread it around. (That's not surprising if you think about it...but I hadn't.)

The fabric did end up with an interesting "sponged" look, but it wasn't really what I hoped for. I colored over some wavy card stock with light purple paintsticks to spruce up some of the painted squares. That was better, so I cut out a section.

Ah, but I really didn't pay attention again. I ended up cutting out a 5 1/2" square. Too small for the intended journal quilt and rather lame looking as it was. So I layered it onto a larger square of dark purple, but it seemed lost. Now what? How about little circles in purple, green and yellow? Done. After that I added some quilting and a binding (haven't done that in a while).

I had hoped to make a journal, but that's not where I ended up. I'm glad I didn't force myself to make this into a smaller piece. I'm glad I continued to play in an effort to get to something I liked better. I'm glad I relaxed and just had fun. Good lesson in there for me.

Comments

Well that was fun just to read what you did! Love your results.
Wow, I really love the piece you ended up with! How cool ... and I just simply LOVE that you PLAYED! Great!
Love, Elizabeth
and it's even better in real life! play more...