Together

The only reason I got out of bed this morning was to see if my entry in the 2009 Quilting Arts calendar contest was selected as a finalist. It wasn't, but that's okay, truly. I love the piece I made and now I can share it with you all here. I think I'm going to get it framed and hang it in my family room.

The theme for the contest was "celebrating home", which they opened to interpretation. I decided that, given my husband's travel schedule for work and our children's busy lives, any time that the five of us are together is fabulous; it's not so much a physical location, as opposed to the pleasure of being together that I wanted to celebrate. I painted through the mesh from a columbine crate to add color to the background fabric; used raw-edge applique for the hands; added shading with color pencils; and, adhered Angelina fiber squares with sequins and beads. Not surprisingly, I named this piece Together.

Good luck to all the finalists! I can't wait to see the new calendar; the list of finalists is very impressive.

Comments

I love love love this piece! living room wall will be perfect for it, also consider entering it in a competition or two...
I love this piece --- very evocative. It is so hard to do hands convincingly, especially with fabric.
Lynn Majidimehr said…
This is a wonderful quilt, I love the hands!