All Caught Up

I feel like a college student who's just spent the weekend catching up on assignments because she's been out having too much fun. Why? I just got caught up on my weekly journal quilts. Hurray!

My previous journal quilt was the result of colors bleeding from one fabric to another. Today, I went back to the original drawing. I ripped it into shreds because I still wasn't inspired by it. I decided to loosely weave the strips together because the colors looked nice. I didn't want to fuse the lattice -- I really liked the straggling threads on the pieces -- so I overlaid some tulle and stitched it down with monofilament thread. I stitched light blue stretchy tulle and variegated ribbon to each of the vertical slats because I wanted to emphasize the loose and ragged edges within the piece.

I must admit, I just love the colors and the ribbons hanging loose here. I've seen so many lovely pieces by other artists that include dangling threads or ribbons. They seem so tactile and three dimensional. This is the first time I've created a piece in which I think it's suitable for that kind of embellishment. I don't intend to compare my work to theirs -- it's certainly not that sophisticated --but what fun to do!

Wow, another totally abstract piece. What's going on? Oh ... in addition to my journal quilt picture, I've included one of the original drawing. What do you think? Did I make the right choice to shred it?

Journal quilt:




Original drawing:

Comments

Nikki said…
The weaving and loose threads are great. No harm is done be attacking something that isn't working. Its a great way to learn something new!
brilliant decision! I love the weaving and the ragged edges.. but then you know that I am partial to ragged edges...