A Print in Progress

What I had hoped was allergies has blossomed into a full-fledged cold. Thankfully, my husband's in town, so he took care of the children last night while I went off to bed early.

When I awoke, there was a certain pungency to the air in the kitchen. Alas, the ends of the onion I had chopped up for dinner were still on the counter; somehow, they were missed by the clean-up crew. Ehh, gross, you might say, but look ... I thought it would be interesting to use the ends as a stamp today. I think this print looks surprisingly wonderful (save for the smudge on the right side). I regret now that I didn't use a bigger square of fabric. I haven't figured out what to do next, but this may just be the beginning of an onion series. I imagine there are endless possibilities in shape. This also continues my recent fascination with circles. Who knew onions could be so neat? Apparently, Charles Dudley Warner knew:

"The onion and its satin wrappings is among the most beautiful of vegetables and is the only one that represents the essence of things. It can be said to have a soul." Charles Dudley Warner, first president of the National Institute of Arts and Letters, in his 1871 book, My Summer in the Garden

Comments

Nikki said…
Fun fabric! I hope you are feeling better.
Vivien Zepf said…
Thanks, Nikki! It was fun to make (though a bit smelly!).