March Challenge

Several weeks ago, Natalya and I exchanged pieces of a pipe cleaner and copper coffee filter for our independent creative challenges. Here's what the objects looked like before we started working with them:



Today we had the opportunity to show each other what we had created. Natalya made a spectacular abstract that was embellished with thread work. She painted a wet piece of silk with luscious blues and purples, then mounted on top of that pieces of the pipe cleaner, filter and dryer sheets, all of which she had painted. Then she did wonderful machine and hand thread work. Paintsticks make the final layer of color and depth. Please go check it out on her blog (just click on her name up above). You'll be amazed.

I made a smaller, simpler piece that's 8" x 6". I misted / spray painted a piece of muslin with light blue paint, then attached my pieces of the filter and pipe cleaner, along with copper wire. I muted the green of the pipe cleaners with paintsticks, then colored through the mesh of a columbine crate to create the border. Finally, I sprinkled metallic bronze paint along the outside in the border to give it all a bit more sparkle. I'm calling it, The Maze.

Once again, I'm fascinated by how differently our pieces turned out with the same elements as our starting point. I really love Natalya's creation; I think it's absolutely beautiful. I think my piece is okay -- nothing spectacular. But this is supposed to be a creative exercise and, as such, I'm pleased. (Quite frankly, I can't believe I made something using these materials.) Natalya and I didn't have time to swap our next challenge items today, but I'm curious what we'll come up with. Certainly can't be odder than a coffee filter and a pipe cleaner, can it?

Here's The Maze:

Comments

I think it looks great Vivien! That border is perfect for it, just the needed touch.. I like how lightly you did it. It looks very Greek to me for some reason... wait till you see what I have for you next week.. hee hee...
Vivien Zepf said…
Isn't that funny; I thought it looked Greek to me, too!
Vivien
I love your last two journal quilts. They have such different feels about them but each equally unique. The gracefullness of the leaves juxtaposed with your maze is a powerful contrast. Keep 'um coming Viv..xoxosusan
Nikki said…
I love the copper colors and the added sparkle of the paint. Looks like a lot of fun to create.