What Next?

Do you ever ask yourself, "Hey, whatever happened to that quilt I was working on?  Do I even still have it?"

This morning I bypassed the piles of fabric that should have been put away, in favor of rooting through my drawers for unfinished quilt tops.

AHA!

The layout to come.  Right now I'm calling it Donuts and Donut Holes
There's one!  I started this quilt top by taking wonky vintage blocks, cutting them apart, and re-piecing them in a new and smoother arrangement.  I have two more large "donut" blocks to make so the bottom row will have a donut > donut hole > donut pattern. I was planning to insert white fabric everywhere you can see my white felt design wall.  Size will be dictated by how many old blocks I have left to cut up. I don't think there are enough to add an additional row.

Here's a close up of one of the squared up large donut blocks.  I love the irregular seams within the square shape.

A close-up of a donut
As I rooted around, I came across some quilt blocks I had completely forgotten about, plus a shoe box filled with half square triangles and four patches to make more. They were even all ironed and flat.

Completed blocks laid out on my table.  Can someone please remind me of the name of this block arrangement?
I think my objective for this quilt had been to use as many remnants of fabric as I could from my stash, trying especially hard to use novelty fabric I'd been gifted and wouldn't otherwise use.  Some of the bits are lovely.  However, there are quite a few that are .... BLECH!  This is, quite possibly, the beginnings of one of the ugliest quilts ever.

Finally! The quilt that popped into my head last night. The one I wondered / hoped I could find.

A Lone Star quilt, not looking too shabby after having been folded and away for a while
There it is!  Folded and, somehow, not smashed.   The left side (as we face it) has been sewn on.  I discovered the already-cut bit for the right side.  But I remember I didn't know what to do next since I didn't have enough of the background material to make top and bottom borders.

So now the big question is, What to Work on Next?  There are pros and cons of each.
#1: PROS:  There's not to much sewing left to do to finish it
      CONS:  I just finished a quilt with a white background
                   Now I'm not sure this layout is interesting enough

#2: PROS: Lots of the parts are already done
                  It doesn't need to be perfect
                  I don't care if it ends up on the floor in my
                      daughter's college dorm room. Could be of use to her
      CONS:  It's really ugly.  Can I stay engaged?

#3: PROS: This one has jogged my memory.  Should I ignore that?
      CONS: I might have to re-learn Y seams.
                  This one might involve more care and thought than I have
                         the mental energy for right now.

Thoughts?  Suggestions? What should I work on next?


Comments

Norma Schlager said…
First all, I don't think #2 is ugly. It's a very traditional scrappy quilt that would be great for a college dorm. I do love the pastels in #1 and would love to see a lot of quilting in all the white parts. #3 is great, too. It must have been a challenge to piece, but not sure what else you would add to it. So, I would say to do them in that order, 2, 1, 3. Have fun, whatever you do.