Double Red Donation

Yesterday, I gave blood.  There's a blood shortage, as there is almost every summer.

When I checked in, I've never know anyone to be so happy about my height and weight.  You see, if you're of a certain height and weight, you can give what's called "Double Red" or "Power Red" donation.  That means a special machine will extract double the amount of red blood cells -- two units worth -- from your blood, but it returns your plasma and platelets, plus a bit of saline.  Since red blood cells are the most frequently needed element of blood transfusions, this doubles the donation's potential impact.  I didn't know this was an option.

If you're in good health and haven't travelled anywhere truly off the grid in the last three years, please consider making a donation.  Here's a link to upcoming blood drives in the New York area if you're interested.


Comments

Karen L R said…
A double red!
I've pulled it off twice and have felt so satisfied.
Well done, friend!!!!
xo