Fiddlesticks Redux

A few weeks ago, I sent off Part I of a collaborative quilt  We were supposed to use fabric from the selection we'd received to create the beginning of a quilt, using the prompt "half" to guide us, in whatever way we were inspired.  You might recall, my part didn't go exactly as planned. Nonetheless, I sent off my half, at least knowing that what I was sending off could be worked with.



Here's what my partner, Virginia Quith, wrote as she tried to work with what she'd received:

My partner, Vivien Zepf, indicated that she had tried to make the center pieced part equal the surrounding hand-dyed muslin part, or 'half'. But somehow her calculations didn't quite work out, hence, "Fiddlesticks"! So, I took the math to hand, did pages of calculations numerous times, adding square inches of left over pieced bits around the edges but it was then WAY too big. SO I went back to the math, subtracting some of the plain area and then adding pieced bits to match up. I might have come closer to showing half pieced bits and half hand-dyed but FIDDLESTICKS REDUX! The math and measuring was driving me mad. So I incorporated it into the design and left it at that.

I used a feature on my sewing 'computer' that previously I had not tackled, namely script stitch. Supposedly, I could program strings of numbers (therefore calculations) in, then push a button and they come stitching out. What I did not know is that there is little warning between numbers. So it was very difficult to make them look like my actual scrap paper math notes. I decided to go with the "fiddlesticks" concept and keep going. I like the way it kind of looks a little like graffiti. This plain area also has a glistening appearance to it with drops of purples, orange, and blue. Incorporated into the pieced sections are bits of orange and blue silk shantung which makes it all very stunning in person!

And now for the reveal:


I sent unused pieced sections to Virginia, and I like how she incorporated them into the final design, along with her "calculation quilting".  FUN!

My other partner had some family matters to attend to, so I received her "Part I" quilt not too long ago.  Now I have to try to work from her piece and inspiration.  It's harder than I expected to pick up where someone else has left off, particularly if you don't immediately connect with their interpretation of the prompt.  I'm working on it and we'll see how it goes.

Until next time, thanks for reading and be well.

Comments