The Foreshortened Arm

In art class today we all formed a semi-circle around the model. She was seated in a chair close to the wall with the light shining brightly from the side in order to create a fabulous shadow along the wall. Our task today was to draw the figure and shadow.

It was a three hour draw and I managed to take more than two hours to draw just a single hand and its foreshortened arm. It was so challenging! I'm amazed that her hand cast such an elongated shadow, but it really did with the angle of the light. It just goes to show that you really do have to draw what you see, not what you think you know. If I'd have drawn from what I thought should have been there, I would have gotten it completely wrong.

Comments

Beena said…
Excellent job on the foreshortened arm.

Many an artist, myself included, do not draw "what we see". Michelangelo dug up cadavers and had an extensive knowledge of anatomy, light, and masses, and I assure you he did not get God, Adam, and the angels to pose for him. Drawing what you see is only one school of drawing, one approach... there are many. The world of art is richer and better for all of them!
Vivian said…
It is always a challenge to draw the human body! I did a small quilt with a mother's hand and a baby holding her finger. I didn't do sufficient drawing first ... and paid the price.
Judy Alexander said…
Wow! You are really getting good!
Norma Schlager said…
That had to have been a difficult pose to capture, but you did it!
Vivien Zepf said…
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and encouragement!
Sunita Mohan said…
I'm in total awe of anyone who's artistically talented. I tie myself up in knots even if I have to draw a cartoon of a basic flower. I guess that's why I like Warli art... stick figures are so much easier! :D