Texture

I admire those artists who have an eye for texture in their work. I think the first step towards being successful at incorporating it into your art is being able to see texture around you. So, when I took my dog for a walk this morning, I went armed with my camera. I was pleasantly surprised to discover how much I was able to see when I put my mind to it. I think that texture will appear to change at different times of the day -- as the light changes and the shadows lengthen -- so I'm looking forward to discovering that as well. Here's a sampling of some of the wonderful things I saw today.

Large dead leaves:


Hydrangea petals:


Bark:


A hollyhock leaf:


Tree fungus:

Comments

Ruth said…
Great photos! I love to use texture in my work and nature is a great source for all kinds of different textures.
I LOVE what you captured with your photographs. I can't wait to see the inspiration that flows from it.
Norma Schlager said…
Super pictures. Have you considered using the photos themselves in your work, perhaps playing with them in Photoshop? Love the hydrangeas!
hmmm... now you need to make art from these...
Loved the tree fungus photo. It reminds me of stipple quilting. Nature is a WONDERFUL place to find inspiration, especially for quilting patterns!
oh and by the way - tag! you're it!
Linda Cline said…
Great textures, inspiring photos. I need to get my camera out more.