Happy Mother's Day

I've had a great day. I hope mothers everywhere have been as pampered as I. I'd love to stick to the topic of moms, especially since I'm in a state of art confusion about this past week's journal....

I began this week's piece with a scrap of upholstery fabric into which I had burned a leaf image using the same metal batik pattern I used last week. I grabbed some fabric and tried to create a backdrop for the leaf. All I can say is that it was very unimpressive. I rubbed over the backdrop using the batik pattern and paintsticks next; it was an improvement, but nothing great. In the end I added more upholstery fabric scraps, more paintstick color, some gold sheer fabric, metallic and flat paint splotches, metallic thread and chenille yarn.

I've ended up with something that's completely different than I imagined. Sometimes I really like it; the colors and the messiness have some appeal. Sometimes I look at it and scratch my head, wondering what I was thinking. I didn't end up with as much contrast as I think I should have (I had added paintstick color to the middle, hoping to spice it up, but I don't think that worked). I like the splotches, but I wonder if it doesn't get too confusing on the eye in the dark sections. Today I added the couched yarn for some brightness and crispness that I thought the piece still needed. I still couldn't decide if it was done or not; I quickly stitched down the original burnt upholstery piece. I had painted it so the design would show more. Do you prefer version one or version two? What can I do (if anything) to salvage this? Is it better with or without the leaves? Please give me your critique since I'm unahppy with this piece.

Version 1:


Version 2:

Comments

version two definitely better.. just got to pop that leaf a bit more...
Linda Cline said…
Adding a leaf is a great way to add a center of interest. You could emphasize to the leaf more by increasing the contrast. What if you changed the border on the leaf to a deep dark brown, and then added some bright highlights to the leaf?