Going Green

I decided to take a cue from Natalya Aikens and make a journal quilt entirely from recycled materials. The front and back of my "Sushi" journal are from a plastic bag. The fish, green pine tree, and Japanese text were all cut from a chopsticks envelope. The pink striped squares were part of a clothing tag, as was the little pink ribbon. Finally, the sheer (a bit hard to see unless you zoom in) was part of the pouch containing a new pair of earrings.

This was fun to do, although I confess to using a bit of glue to hold things in place at the start; plastic sure does slip and slide! I think part of the key to successful recycling (and collage, I've come to realize) is that you have to first be a good collector. The items used here certainly came from disparate sources! I've already put aside an old shoe box so that I have a place to store my goodies; it's clear I need to start collecting.

Comments

very nice Vivien! and don't be afraid to use glue.. I use it all the time with plastics..
Hi Vivien. So pleased to meet you, thank you for your visit and comment on my blog. I've just taken a tour through your blog and enjoyed myself. I have always wanted to do a fractured quilt like the one you show early in the year. I hope there will be another challenge like that.