The Directions Are There for a Reason

This week, I used another remnant of Mary Fisher painted fabric for the base of my journal quilt. I started by stamping all over the fabric using a metal batik resist leaf pattern. It was very subtle, so I rubbed over the metal pattern with a bronze paintstick. Then, inspired by the collages in Virginia Spiegel's Collage Mania II fundraiser, I decided to try my hand at adding words to my piece. I stenciled the word "leaves" around the fabric using a brown painstick.

I didn't want to wait the two to three days suggested in the directions for the paintsticks to dry; I wanted to finish NOW. So, a few hours later, I quilted in some leaves and a free motion background. The end result: all the great leaf rubbings are smudged beyond recognition, the words are barely legible, and my machine quilting gloves now have brownish bronze fingertips. Bummer. Although it still has some depth (and I admit to still liking it), the base of this piece looked so much better before I rushed. Lesson learned.

Here's Random Foliage 2:

Comments

Linda Cline said…
I like what you have done. Subtle can be good. You have built up nice texture.

If you aren't completely happy with it, you could still go back and add more paintstick. You could make some of the words darker. Or you could emphasize the quilted leaves by adding highlights to them.
i like it a lot! the texture is really great! and I must admit to owning two pairs of sewing gloves with brown and green fingertips....