Art Gallery NSW: Part II

In this post I'm going to share the more modern art from The Greats exhibition at Art Gallery NSW. Let's begin with John Sargent Singer and the portrait that was reproduced on a lot of the museum's promotional material.

John Sargent Singer, Lady Agnew of Lochaw, 1892
The chair and backdrop, both Singer's, were the perfect backdrop for this portrait of leisure and wealth, without being overbearing.

Detail of Lady Agnew of Lochaw
I'm always fascinated to see how painters create the impression of flowing cloth and transparency

Frederic Edwin Church, Niagara Falls, From the American Side, 1867
This is positively luminous in the rendering of flowing water and light. It was much larger than I expected.
Edgar Degas, Diego Martelli, 1879
I love how Degas climbed a ladder to paint Martello from above, an atypical perspective from which to paint a portrait but very effective.

Paul Gauguin, Three Tahitians, 1899
Gauguin said, "Color is a profound mysterious language, a language of dreams."

Paul Cezanne, The Big Trees, 1902-1904
This work was created late in Cezanne's career.  I'm intrigued by the upright tree trunk in the middle, flanked by the more dynamic trees on the sides.

That's all of the masterpieces I'll share right now from The Greats. Next up, some Australian art, things it's unlikely you've ever seen.  Yes?  

No -- I've changed my mind.  I think I'm going to wait to share the Australian art until I have the opportunity to do a little research on each of the artists and their art.  Instead, these posts are going to be scattered throughout the year, like mini "Australian Flashbacks".


Comments