Museum of Monterey Exhibitions - Part II - "Cheerful Idiocy"

By this time it was an effort to keep straight in the saddle, and I couldn't turn my neck to save me.  And yet, tho' I was most thoroughly cooked, it was all great fun and I enjoyed every second of it.  The advantages of cheerful idiocy!

This is part of an entry in Jo Mora's journal as he retraced the Alta California mission trail in the early 1900's.  Jo was 27 years old when he decided to leave his work as a ranch cowboy and undertake a three month journey from Mission San Diego to Mission San Juan Bautista on horseback.  Among other things, he carried sketchbooks, pencils, and watercolors in his saddlebags, along with a copy of journal recordings from the very first Spanish explorations (1769) embarking from San Diego.

What do you think of that?

I think it's fascinating that the artist's spirit can take many forms and manifest itself in so many ways... and it's done so for centuries.  The Museum of Monterey is exhibiting limited edition gliclees (the same size as the originals, too) of Mora's work from the trail.  I have a few pictures of the sketches and watercolors to share with you here and a (reformatted) excerpt from one of his journals:






His work is absolutely beautiful and his journal entries offer such insight into his adventure.  Oh, that we all could create such beautiful art -- and then describe the experience so wonderfully in words.

Comments

love that quote - we should all engage in cheerful idiocy every now and then!
interesting to read his notes...apparently New Yorkers did graffiti back then too...
Marti said…
I have often thought when in a natural setting, why and what would possess a person to chip, spray paint or chisel their name or names on a beautiful scene. I'm thinking great minds think alike. (smile) I enjoyed the pics and his note.