Catching up

I don't know how to solve the problem of the disappearing Blogger photo upload icon, so I've decided to circumvent it -- I've gone back to the old editor format.    Because I know how to work this way, here's a peek at what's been going on ... it has to be quick since I need to get to the fabric store this afternoon.

Earlier this week I had an "art date" with Susan Schrott.  We made a mess of her studio as we did some gelatin plate prints.  Oh, it was so much fun!  This really is one of my favorite things to do.  We made lots of unique fabric.  Here's a picture of some of the pretty fabrics drying outdoors.


I've been taking my oldest daughter to physical therapy for her ankle and have had some extra time to read as I wait in the pick up line after school.  This week I read an interesting article in the September issue of Smithsonian called "Earthquake Art", describing  how Haitian artists are using the tragedy of the recent earthquake to create new and inspiring artwork.  The cover art (shown below) was created by Frantz Zephirin on commission by Smithsonian.  I think that's pretty cool.  If you get a chance, try to pick up a copy and read the article.  It's amazing what these artists are doing in the aftermath of a tragedy which has touched them all.


Finally, I've signed on to be part of a doodle swap, along with a number of artists I met while at the Art Quilt Elements show this past April.  Paula Kovarik is leading the fun and is the one who convinced me to participate.  (She is, by the way, a fabulous doodler who includes doodle stitching to great effect in her quilts.  Two of her quilt beauties were recently juried into Quilts=Art=Quilts 2010).   The swap works like this: one artist starts a doodle, sends it on to two other artists to add to / delete from, who then return it to the originator.  It's rather like round-robin quilting, only it's doodling.  Here's the end result of the doodle I started; clearly the BP oil spill was on our minds.  This doodle was created by Paula Kovarik, Katherine Knauer, and myself.


And now, without further delay, off to the fabric store!

Comments

susan schrott said…
hope you got some great fabrics!
great fabrics! and i cant decide which doodle parts are yours....
thanks for the smithsonian tip!
Paula Kovarik said…
Thanks for posting the result Vivien. I think doodles represent the current that runs through all of us and informs our lives.
My doodles are filled with poisoned water these days. Wish we could erase the damage as easily as doodling our thoughts about it.