Journals: Numbers 2, 3, and 4

Though I've been spending a lot of time on my SAQA pieces of late, I've also been keeping up with my journals; I just forgot to post them.

Still fascinated with the possibilities of gel medium, I decided to tear up newspaper and use gel medium to adhere the strips to a piece of muslim. I must say, I think this looks so cool! (To give credit where credit is due, I tore up pages of the New York Times from January 20, 2008 and March 28, 2008.)


For this one, a piece of fabric I'd been using to wipe up paint spills was the background for the last gelatin plate print of a painting session. I colored in some of the swirls with a yellow oil pastel crayon, then topped it off with tracing paper pieces I had painted. Before I put the tracing paper pieces on the piece, I ran them through my Xyron machine to give them an adhesive back. I was surprised to discover that I could feed the torn strips through the machine without getting crumpled. The adhesive worked well everywhere but on the pointy edges. I'll probably use the Xyron machine again for collage.


And yesterday, I combined the twig I had sewn as practice for my SAQA piece and a reject from my twig gelatin plate printing experiment. I think I did this because it reminded me of a twig under the ice ... sort of what it looked like outside yesterday.

Comments

these are all really cool! i especially love that twig one... and what in the world is a xylon machine? and when can i play with it?
Anonymous said…
Yep, way cool. I am thinking I should get a little Xyron machine - one more thing I can live without but might not want to.

coming back to the frigid north this weekend. Boo hoo.
Rayna
Margeeth said…
They are all great, I like the last one (the twig) most.
Karen L R said…
Wow Viviene, you've got a lot of techniques going on here, and fun results. I am amazed by all the cool stuff other folks are trying. I feel so plain and simple. I guess that's part of what blogging is all about, learning new things and growing, eh? Check out my blog for answers to your questions.
Norma Schlager said…
You've been so busy with some fabulous results. I also don't know what a Xyron machine is.
Vivien Zepf said…
Basically, a Xyron machine is a sticker maker. You feed things in (up to the thickness of a button), crank the machine, and it comes out the other side with adhesive on the bottom. Cool.
wlstarn said…
I really like the newspaper idea. You could do all kinds of things with that.

Wendy

P.S. I grew up in Bergen County NJ in your part of the world. Got to spend LOTS of time at the Met.