An Unexpected Compliment

Today I took my youngest daughter to the library, but I hadn't brought along my library cards. "No problem", said the librarian. "I can pull up your account number with your driver's license." So, I handed her my license.

She paused as she looked at it, taking long enough for me to wonder if I was on a black-ball list. Did we have any long overdue books? The librarian -- whom I had never met before -- looked up at me. "Do you quilt?", she asked.

"Yes", I replied. "Oh my gosh", she shouted. "I LOVED your Entitlement quilt! I think about it every time someone does something, well, you know, entitled!"

It turns out she was referring to a quilt I made in 2005 called, The World Revolves Around Me, for the 8th Deadly Sin Challenge hosted by Sharon Bowman through QuiltArt. It hasn't been exhibited in more than two years. And here was someone who still remembered it! WOW!

What an ego boost to have a stranger recognize your name and remember your art. This quilt was my first art quilt effort, outside the previous year's journal quilts and quilting class. It was, in fact, one of the few things I made in 2005 -- too many other things demanded my time that year. So the moment I got home, I marched upstairs and took the quilt out of my closet where it has been unceremoniously languishing all this time. It was actually fun to see again. The intent of the challenge was to identify an "8th Deadly Sin" and I chose to represent a sense of entitlement. Looking at the quilt still makes me chuckle a bit. Because of all the excitement, I thought I would take it out of retirement and show it to you here. I don't think it's anything brilliant, but at least I now know it was thought-provoking to someone. Very cool.

Full View:


Details:


Comments

Heather Pregger said…
Wow! Congratulations!
mad elena said…
That's an amazing story! But I can see why your quilt made such an impression.
I love reading about your weekly journals. You've done wonderful work with your explorations.
margaret said…
What a great story ... and your quilt certainly made me smile (a lot!)