Lucky Me!

Today I attended a workshop with Rayna Gillman ! Woo hoo! The workshop focused on the gelatin plate printing chapter in her book, Create Your Own Hand-Printed Cloth; however, we also used techniques described in other sections.

I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to paint. It seems so permanent and, heaven forbid, what if I mess up? Well, today in class, Rayna would just smile her electric smile and that was all the encouragement I needed to slop some more paint onto my gelatin plate and try something new. I was a mess! But it was so much fun, I literally printed my gelatin plate to shreds. (That was much to the amusement of all the other students, but hey, the cracks in my plate led to really interesting texture in my prints.) By the end of the day, I had eight very different painted fabrics to take home and I can't wait to play some more. Here are samples, some more successful than others:

For this print I used a fern as a resist, but I didn't listen to Rayna when she suggested I set the fabric aside for a while. Instead, I kept on printing and ended up going too far. I don't know if I'll cut this up or add another layer of printing; I do love the colors.


This time I listened to Rayna when she hinted I might want to stop. Now that I've stepped back from it, I like it much better and see some possibilties.


This was my first print. I got much freer with my placement of things as the day when on, but I still really like this piece.


This is one of my favorite prints. I think the photo cropping here is giving me ideas for what I should do next.


Definately try to take one of Rayna's classes; she's a great teacher. At least, I hope you can buy Rayna's book and try gelatin printing. It's easy, it's fun, and the results are fabulously unpredictable and remarkably beautiful. Everyone went home today with amazing fabric of their own creation. Take a peek at Jane Davila's blog to see the beautiful fabric she created. It's gorgeous and totally different than my own.

The whole process is very empowering. Just think: making a quilt using fabric I printed! How cool is that?

Comments

jane dávila said…
It was a blast, wasn't it?

I just posted about it too. Love the way your fabric came out!

jane