Subway Art

Today my youngest and I took a trip to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. (If you ever have the chance to go to AMNH, you should stop in; it really is a world class museum.) At lunchtime, we decided to hop on the subway and make a trip downtown to meet up with my husband.

Now, I've taken the subway hundreds of times, but I've never paid attention to this stop. Suffice it to say, the platform leading to and from the museum is an unexpected pleasure. Tiles are scattered on the floor with monochromatic profiles of animals. Dinosaur fossil replicas are on the walls like topographical maps. Large colorful animal mosaics grace the walls as well. Luckily, I had my camera with me; unfortunately, I ran out of space on my memory card, so I have only a few mosaic pictures to share with you. (The last picture will give you a sense of scale.) If you look closely at the tortoise, you'll see a red question mark imbedded in the mosaic. I wonder why. Next time I'm at the museum, I'll search for more question marks and/or some clues...





Comments