The Silver Lining

You may have noticed that I was a bit tardy posting my journal from our week away. Well, it's not that I was unpacking or catching up on things; it was because I was suffering from a nasty stomach and abdominal bug. It started last Sunday night and continued to wreak havoc through Monday night. On Tuesday, I was able to stomach two glasses of ginger ale and a slice of toast. By Wednesday, I was up and about, but I was weak and my appetite still had not returned. It's no wonder the frail succumb to these viruses.

Well, here it is on Sunday and it's time to post my journal quilt for the week. Given that my week was dominated by the bug I caught, I was at a bit of a loss for inspiration. With no other ideas in mind, I decided to focus on the silver lining of my brief illness: the six pounds I lost in two days. For me, that's cause for celebration. I've been struggling to lose some tonnage and the microscopic vermin gave me the jump start I needed. Yippee!

"6-The Silver Lining" was created with gold and silver foils. I hadn't played with them in a while and needed a refresher. I quilted the piece using four different brands of metallic threads. I wanted to experiment and improve my skills here, too. I discovered that I really like Sulky Metallic thread; I used it as the gold border outline. Do you have a favorite metallic I should try?

This isn't a particularly artful journal quilt -- in fact, it could easily be called ugly -- but it was cathartic to create something out of my yucky week. I believe that my little artistic experiments here, along with helping me grow creatively, are documenting little bits and pieces of my life beyond quilting. I think that's pretty cool and a wonderful side benefit to this exercise.

Comments

hmm... this has potential... I kinda like it, but then I am always partial to swirly things.