New Quilt

Stretching Art and Tradition is celebrating its tenth year as an exhibit at Quilter's Heritage in Pennsylvania. This year, the theme of the exhibit is aptly, "10". Quilters were asked to create pieces that expressed "ten" -- and liberal interpretations of the theme were welcomed.

I decided to create a piece celebrating the ten fingers / ten toes that new parents are always thankful for. My piece has three rows in it, one for each of our three children. Within each row are twenty flesh-tone pieces that represent the total fingers and toes of each child. (One row has an extra piece for good luck.) And finally, I painted our youngest daughter's hands and feet and used them as prints on the quilt. I've named the piece, Ten Blessings - Twofold.

This is quite a departure from my usual work. I've never created anything that is so abstract outside of my journal quilt experiments. Since it is such a different style for me, I would sincerely like some critique. I really enjoyed making it and am wondering if there are more quilts like this in me. What do you think? Should I pursue this?

Full quilt (20" x 16"):




Detail picture:

Comments

I love it! love the imagery, the colors, the thoughts behind the work. How big is it? Definitely see more work like this in your future... bigger and more intricate...
Vivien Zepf said…
Thanks, Natalya; that's encouraging! Also, I've added the size to the full picture note; the quilt's 20 x 16.