Better Late than Never

Before we left on our Easter trip, I rubbed over a palm leaf with different colored crayons.  Since that didn't end up looking particularly exciting, I colored over it all with Shiva Paintsticks using a leaf stencil.  Yesterday I finally had the chance to finish this up.  I took scraps from a wonderful hand-dyed I bought from Susan Schrott  and cut squares to be the backdrop to leaves I had in my stash. 

I was planning to lay the leaves neatly inside the squares so you could see the leaf veins, but my eldest daughter said that was boring.  Instead, she suggested that I let the leaves fall as they may since that was more in keeping with the random nature of the leaves in the background.  It seemed like a good idea, so that's just what I did.  It certainly is unexpected and more dynamic.  Now that I think it's complete, here's a picture of the journal quilt for last week:Random Foliage. What do you think of the off-kilter leaves?

Comments

I like the sketchy textures of this piece, and the off kilter leaves are good except in the places where they disappear... maybe you should rub oil sticks on them?
Hi! I saw your wonderful quilt in Lancaster and thought I'd stop by to comment. Loved reading your blog, and the project you're doing is so great! Take good care, and hope to see you soon, Elizabeth
Vivien Zepf said…
Thanks for the kind words, Elizabeth! It was very thoughtful of you to check out my blog and comment. Thanks!
Linda Cline said…
Wonderful colors and textures. The way you have placed the leaves is more interesting than if you had centered each one. It makes each green rectangle a bit different. And I like the way the leaves almost dissapear into the background where they fall off the green. It adds a bit of mystery, and draws you in for a closer look.