Found Objects Challenge

Each month my friend, Natalya, and I are participating in our own challenge. We're creating new pieces of art that are a minimum of 6 x 6 which utilize the two found objects we've shared with each other. For this month's challenge we dug into our purses to see what we would find: two Ricola lozenge wrappers (Natalya) and two tokens from a children's amusement center (me). The wrapper and the token then had to be used in each of our creations, though they could be altered.

Natalya made a wonderful piece by painting some stretched canvas with swirls and then capturing the painted token and wrapper on the canvas with some stitched tulle. I'm hoping she'll put a picture up on her blog soon. On my piece, I used glitter dimensional paint on the token to cover up the verbiage. I painted the wrapper and wedged it between two pieces of fantasy film. After that I just played for a while, ending up with an abstract that, I think, looks a bit like a star fish. The "arms" are made from Angelina fibers and the batik was altered a bit with paint, using the mesh from our mandarin orange box as a stencil. I contemplated adding beads, but after I put the yarn along the edges, I decided against it. I think I'll call this "Sea Strings". My eldest likes the piece very much, but would prefer I call it "Skunk". She thinks it would be provocative to have pretty artwork named with phrases that evoke ugly imagery. An interesting concept..... I do wonder how that would affect the viewers impression of the art. What do you think?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like the fluffy edges -- much more interesting than a traditional binding.

congrats on keeping up the blog. I hope you're enjoying keeping it going as much as I enjoy stopping by.
Vivien Zepf said…
Thanks for checking in, Cate; I am having fun with the blog. And I appreciate and your comments and feedback.
great piece Vivien! I finally put mine on my blog too. Can't wait to see how January's challenge will unfold...