Acceptance: Daily Bar Code

I'm thrilled and honored to announce that my quilt, Daily Bar Code, has been juried into the Dinner@8 exhibition curated by Jamie Fingal and Leslie Tucker Jenison.  The exhibition will debut at the Houston International Quilt Festival this fall.

Daily Bar Code, ©Vivien Zepf
30" x 50"
Since this is the exhibition's final year, participants were asked to make a 30" x 50" quilt that responded to one of the themes used over the course of the exhibit's nine year history.  I chose to respond to the Pattern prompt.

Daily Bar Code shows the pattern that emerges when I color-code my activities, 24-hours per day for five days.  So that the pattern wouldn't look too lopsided, I began each 24 hour period at 3AM. In that way, my sleep segments could be visually split between the two sides of the quilt.  Each row represents one day, with the most slender segments equating to one hour.  Fatter segments = longer blocks of time.

I skewed the pattern mid-week when I attended my dad's birthday celebration.  It really did take place mid-day on a Wednesday.  I decided that the best way to represent that fun was with a confetti-like pattern.  It  made for the perfect mid-week break.

I quilted the entire piece with monofilament thread so that the quilting, a vine-like pattern with triangular "leaves,  wouldn't obscure the color pattern.  Here's a detail shot:

Detail, Daily Bar Code
©Vivien Zepf
I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to be included in the exhibition.  I'm a bit awestruck by the company I'll be keeping in the exhibition.  You can read the accepted list of artists here.

There's been a hiatus in my making and, hence, my exhibiting.  That fact makes this moment even more special.  This was also a great making experience.  In many ways it felt like I was rediscovering this form of artistic expression.  It was fun to create something that was completely abstract, in a kind of creative voice I don't recall using often.  But I felt engaged with the process, so much so that I'm already thinking of the next piece I'd like to make.  This may well be the start of a new series.  I find that pretty exciting, too.



Comments

Norma Schlager said…
Congratulations! Your piece is terrific and yes, you are in some very good company.