1,000 Ways

Ansel Adams, Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico (1941)

I love Ansel Adam's photography so I was very pleased that one of this photographs, Moonrise, Hernandez New Mexico (1941) was the subject of one our photography class modules.  Our second week of class was devoted to the different ways photographers have captured the moon and this particular photo of Adams's was discussed.  Part of what I found particularly interesting was hearing Adams speak to the serendipity of discovering the scene and the ways he ultimately developed the image, admitting "There's a 1,000 ways to do it."  You can watch the short videos here and here.

Moonrise has become an iconic photograph, still in high demand among collectors.  Is its appeal the glowing moon and gravestones?  The horizontal composition that echoes the Rule of Thirds?  The expansive and raw landscape?  I have to admit; I wasn't familiar with this image.   I thought we'd be discussing "Moon and Half Dome", an image I've loved since I first visited Yosemite when I was ten.

Ansel Adams, Moon and Half Dome (1960)

But that's part of the fun of class, isn't it?  Finding new things to love.

Comments