Working in a Series

I've always marveled at artists who work in a series.  All that artwork that seems to fit together and flow organically.  I've also been a little jealous: there's no wondering about what do to next.  These artists KNOW.  They've found something that they find especially appealing that they want to explore more.  I think Kathy Loomis suggested that wanting to explore a particular idea beyond a second or third piece suggests the start of a series.

If that's the case, I think I may be turning into one of "them", one of those artist who works in a series.

First I made Betwixt.




I recently finished Champagne Dance.

Champagne Dance, 40" x 40"

A few years ago I thought of using circles as my theme in a Working in a Series class with Lisa Call.  But I chickened out; circles seemed so juvenile and un-artistic (with a little "a", not a big "A" for Artistic).

Clearly, I haven't been able to get them out of my head.  Add to that is the fact that I'm enjoying the craziness of what I'm calling deconstructed piecing -- the whole "cut-up-blocks-then-sew-them-back-together" business.  It satisfies my need to find a place for piecing.

I'm not sure where this all came from.   But what I DO know is that I'm excited about playing with color and circles.   I think there are going to be more. This may be the start of a series.


Comments

Norma Schlager said…
It's hard to go wrong with circles. I like what you're doing. How did you do the black circles.....paint. fusing?
Vivien Zepf said…
I fused black fabric that I had cut out with my rotary cutter to give the circles a more "organic" look.