Crazy (not Lazy) Days of Summer

Since I last wrote, it's been a mad dash to the finish line on many fronts:

1) I finished -- and submitted -- a project for possible publication.  If this isn't the right fit, I'll send the project to another magazine.

2) I created a new piece for The Gloaming, a group show I'm proud to be a part of at Etui Fiber Arts Gallery in Larchmont, NY.  The five of us -- Natalya Aikens, Deborah Boschert, Robin Ferrier, Kristin LaFlamme and myself -- created new artwork based on the gloaming, a poetic (and somewhat archaic) word for dusk, twilight, the magic hour.

In a fit of madness, I pieced together blocks (leaving errors for spontaneity)



which I then cut apart and re-pieced into a new format.



These became the "sun" and the "moon" for my piece, Betwixt, inspired by the horizon and the blur between night and day.





Here's a view of the large pieces in the exhibition (we agreed on a common width, but left length to the purview of our own inspiration):

Pieces from L to R: Robin Ferrier, Vivien Zepf, Deborah Boschert,
Kristin LaFlamme, and Natalya Aikens

And a view of the small, 12" x 12" pieces:

Pieces L to R: Robin Ferrier, Kristin LaFlamme, Deborah Boschert,
Natalya Aikens, Vivien Zepf

3) My parents came for a visit that included celebrating my dad's 86th birthday and watching my daughter dance in one of her recital performances.


4) My husband and I went away for five days while our oldest two work and our youngest attends an architectural program at Notre Dame.  For the most part, we relaxed and reveled in the natural beauty of California.

Taken during a walk in Muir Woods
Next up: traveling to the Midwest to pick up my daughter from Notre Dame and then visit with my eldest who's interning in Chicago for the summer.

Next week I'll breathe.


Comments

Sue Reno said…
Love your sun/moon piece! I'm glad you got a well deserved vacation.
Norma Schlager said…
Me, too, I love your gloaming piece and it looks like a wonderful show.