New Work

My fiber art group FiberArtNortheast, or FANE for short, has offered a special exhibition in the Northern Star Quilt Guild Show for the past two years.  This year was no different.  We chose the theme of "opposites" and we each created an 18" x 52" piece that interpreted the theme and which could hang on either the wall or be draped over the T-stands we used for last year's kimono exhibit.

My opposites piece is called "Leg-O's" and features chair legs and human legs.  (You may remember I was considering the color palette and doing some sketches here.)  Looking at the piece as a whole and in parts, I've come up with eleven different opposites that are represented in my quilt, if you stretch your imagination a bit.  Here are a few pairings to get your mind going:  animate vs. inanimate, male vs. female, sitting vs. standing, whole vs. split, barefooted vs. shoed....

Leg-O's
© Vivien Zepf, 2014
I had a lot of fun using this outrageous bright color palette and returning to my chair motif.  As you can see, I've added a new one to the mix though perhaps not quite so new.  I used a version of this chair for Blue Chair with Tea which sold last year.

I also have to share that I used an Aurifil thread I'd never used before: Mako'Ne 50/2.  It was an absolute delight to use! It was the perfect thread to use for this piece because it makes a fine line and I could go over it a few times to make it bolder, and to make the line appear more like a sketched line.  Though cotton, the thread is almost silky without a bump or nob in sight.  I loved it and will be shopping for more colors soon.




Comments

Cindy Green said…
Leg-Os looked great at the show - hope you get a chance to go see it!
Norma Schlager said…
What a great concept and interpretation. Sorry I could't be there is person to see the show.