Sold in Houston

I've crossed off enough critical items on my lengthy "to do" list that I can take a moment on my blog to announce -- with tremendous pride-- that my Whimsy piece sold at the SAQA Benefit Auction in Houston.  Woo hoo!  I'm so pleased!


This little piece is very special to me.  It was a joy to make and came at a time in my life when creating something fun and spirited was exactly what I needed.   It was the impetus for a new series of works based on the shape of the chair and the concept of welcome.  It marked the start of a more serious studio practice.  A detail of it became my blog header.  It's just one of those special pieces that I'm sure every artist has that marks a turning point in their artistic journey.  I love it and I hope it brings joy to its new owner.

As a bit of an aside, I'd like to go on record to say I'm happy SAQA chose to extend the Benefit Auction to the International Quilt Festival in Houston.  I'm honored that my piece was selected by Warren and Nancy Brakensiek, prominent contemporary fiber art collectors, to be part of the Houston sale collection.  I'm guessing they felt the pieces they selected were a fair representation of fiber art today that also would appeal to a broad audience.  I'm taking the implicit compliment in that.   I also believe that hosting a portion of the auction in Houston enables SAQA, as an organization, to expand its buyer pool and help educate visitors about art quilts.  There's no doubt that the quilts in the special SAQA exhibitions are tremendous works of art, but I suspect they might be intimidating to a new, potential member.  The 12" x 12" squares seem a much more attainable goal for a "newbie" and showcase the breadth of work SAQA members create.

Bottom line: I'm glad to have made a piece of art that touched someone enough that they were willing to lay down hard earned cash for it, supporting SAQA in the exchange.  I'd say that's a good deal all around.


Comments

Kristin L said…
Well said! And Congratulations on the sale for a good cause. :-)
Sue Reno said…
Congrats, both to you and the lucky buyer!
Congrats! Good cause and a prestigious collection!
Cindy Green said…
Congrats, Vivien! I liked that piece too - now some other lucky people get to enjoy it!