My Idea of a Good Gallery Director

"Emerald Waters", Pt. Lobos Reserve, California

I am learning so much from my experience with the gallery in California. First, I learned that it's very important to reach out if you have concerns.  Second, I discovered that some galleries set a minimum price for pieces in their exhibitions.  I like that and wish more galleries exhibiting fiber art would consider a similar policy.

I learned that some gallery directors will go above and beyond to make their exhibitions come together.  In my case, I had asked a California photographer to print out my image and deliver it to the gallery on my behalf.  Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication and the print arrived..... in the wrong size.  The gallery director called me, realized that this wasn't my error, and suggested another local professional lab I could work with.  Then, he picked up my print himself.  "I really want this to be seen", he told me.

I've also learned that some gallery directors take marketing seriously.  When I spoke with him, the gallery director shared that they'd done a marketing push to area interior designers, hoping they'd come to see the exhibition.  He told me, "I hope a decorator calls you up and asks for five more prints."

There's nothing like having a cheerleader in your corner who also happens to be working very hard on your behalf to help you be successful.  It's clear to me that a good gallery director views the artist as an integral part of the artistic team.  This is a professional relationship I'd like to cultivate and which will be the benchmark against which I judge all others.


Comments

GORGEOUS!!!
Congratulations! Here's to working with professionals!
Cindy Green said…
I am so very happy for you. I have always thought your photographs were outstanding and you have an amazing photographic eye - now others can see this for themselves! Well deserved recognition and I hope the start of something really amazing for you!
Kristin L said…
Yes! I think you've found a good one. If one is going to split the sales of the artwork then it becomes a team effort. They should have the space to show off the work, the Rolodex of potential collectors, and the resources to market to a wider audience. I would expect that the gallery director would be putting in a concerted effort just as the artist did to make the work.
Congratulations!
Norma Schlager said…
I'm so glad that your beautiful photography is getting the recognition it deserves.
I love the picture that you put up today!