In the Absence of Fiber Arts Magazine

I know many of us have been lamenting the loss of Fiber Arts to economics.  It's a shame to learn that there's not enough demand in the market to support a publication that was well-written, educational without being pedantic, with good photography.   

Along with the SAQA Journal (for which I have a special fondness, of course), I urge you to take a look at the Surface Design Journal.  Published by the Surface Design Association (SDA), the Surface Design Journal is a quarterly publication distributed to SDA members.  The small print under the title of each journal says it all: "creative exploration of fiber and fabric".  This may be a perfect fit for those trying to inform themselves of artwork outside our "quilt" niche.

The Summer 2011 Journal focuses on paper and books.  I've had a rare opportunity this morning to sit quietly for a bit and read undisturbed.  I've found what I've read so far fascinating.  Editor Patricia Malarcher notes in her editorial many fabric artists began working with paper in the 1960's and 70's as paper making saw a resurgence during that time.  Who knew?  Further evidence, I guess, that one art form can inform another.  I've also read interesting articles about starting papermaking in Ghana, how Mary Hark came to create her paper artwork that has "quilt-like structure", and about joomchi, a Korean papermaking tradition.  I haven't read the whole issue yet, but I'm going to set aside time later today to do so.  I have lots to learn.


What are you reading?

Comments

x said…
Thanks for mentioning Surface Design, which I didn't know before! I have had a subsription to Fiberarts for 30 years - what a loss that they couldn't continue.