Putting on a show

I'm thrilled to be a part of the Fiber + Thread = Art SAQA exhibit. With Jane Davila at the helm, I'm learning so much about the process of mounting an exhibit. We recently met to mount all our artwork on 18" x 18" canvas so that all the artwork would look uniform in the space. Last month, the group worked to select artwork for the postcard. It's not an easy task. It was important to choose work that photographed well (i.e., wasn't too dark, too light, or too shiny) and that all "played well" together (borrowing a phrase from Jane). My piece, "Circles I", ended up on the postcard (how cool is that?). It's the slice on the far right. Doesn't the postcard look great? Kudos to Jane for that. (The blue surround on the card is of my own making -- the postcard has a white border but I thought that would make the edge hard to see here.)


Here's a listing of the artists involved in the show. There are a lot of accomplished artists in the group and I'm honored to be exhibiting with them.


There's still more to do: postcards to mail, posters to distribute, artwork to hang, refreshments to procure. Intellectually, I knew there was a lot to do, but there's no better learning experience than actually going through all the steps. If you're in the area, please stop by. The show includes an exciting array of artwork!

I'm a little behind on my journal quilts. As you can see, I'm still exploring circles. I played with paint and bubble wrap, then did some hand stitching. I'd really like to try to incorporate more hand work in my quilts. I recently submitted a piece for the Quilting Arts "Rock On!" challenge and I really like it .... but I think it would have been much better if I'd put some hand stitching in the background. I used to embroider a lot, but I always did it with a pattern. As a result, I don't have much confidence in "free form" stitching. I'm going to have to work on that.

Comments

Norma Schlager said…
I like the colors and the texture in your journal quilt. The bubble wrap works so well.