Found Object Challenge

Yesterday, Natalya and I shared the results of our found object challenge. The last time we were together, we each brought an object to be incorporated in our next piece; surprisingly, we each brought a bottle cap! Natalya's was a medium size blue cap and mine was a clear 8 oz. water bottle cap. (Sorry, but once again I forgot to take a "before" picture.)

I tried to flatten out the caps by driving over them but, believe it or not, they wouldn't smoosh! I hammered them flat instead. Unfortunately, this caused my little cap to split into two pieces: the round cap top and the threads (which ended up as an elliptical shape post-hammering). It wasn't a total loss because the shapes were interesting enough to use as stamps on a piece of Mickey Lawler Skye Dye fabric I had in my stash. The muted purple, green, and pinkish orange in the Skye Dye guided me in my color choice. This piece of fabric became my focal fabric, as well as the back of my piece.



I gathered some greens, purples, and oranges to make a background. With that finished, I covered the three cap pieces with batting and the painted fabric and created my "bubbles". (I added three more bubbles made out of batting alone because I felt the design needed more circles.) Finally, on Natalya's suggestion, I added some hand stitching to give it a bit more fun and punch. I'm not sure if this is finished yet, but it's close enough to share.





I think this is a fun, summer piece; nothing earth-shattering, but I enjoyed doing it and I love the colors. Natalya's, of course, is a sophisticated, flowing piece. Just click on her name to get to her blog and see it. It's lovely and very peaceful. It's amazing how differently our two pieces always end up ... but that's a lot of the fun of these challenges.

Comments

this is such a fun summer piece.... can' wait to see what the next challenge produces! so far I have no ideas..