Amending and Experimenting

In last week's journal quilt, I used up scraps from my "Tropical Bubbles" challenge piece. The background is pieced from leftover sections of fabric. The spirals were cut from purple tulle circles I had originally intended to use as the backdrop to the bubbles. I had decided that the tulle was too subtle for the bubbles, but I like the more wispy look it has here as spirals. This is also the first time I didn't put a backing fabric on a piece. Instead, I used some leftover fleece. Intellectually it's a good choice: it's easy to stitch through and it won't fray. However, it's a lot thicker than the batting I'm used to and things don't adhere / bond to it easily. It also hangs differently -- not good or bad, just different. The back does look nice though with the spiral stitching on it.



My "waiting" journal quilt, while expressing how I felt, didn't sit that well with me upon review; it needed something more. So I decided to amend it with a bit of experimentation. I decided to use Modge Podge to adhere some clocks images that I'd printed out on tracing paper. This is only the second time I can recall using Modge Podge; the last (and first) time was while doing a project with my daughter's Girl Scout troop. Needless to say, I wasn't sure how it would work out on paper over fabric. I must say that it worked better than I expected, though I didn't do that much. The little clock circles have, thus far, stayed put -- no crinkling or loose edges. I did notice, however, a bit of a red bleed. I don't know if that's from the printer ink or the tickets. Any thoughts on that? At any rate, while still not brilliant, I now like the piece better.

Comments