Cats, Birds, and Darwin

I love cats; I really do. I had one growing up that I adored and we had one a few years ago until, unfortunately, it had to be returned to the SPCA. We discovered it had feline herpes.

At any rate, please keep that in mind as I say -- I'm saddened by the number of wild birds that are killed each year by pet cats. I'm not blaming the cats; they're only doing what comes naturally. But it makes me sad, nonetheless, when I come across the remains of a bird that's been taken out by Fluffy.

I recently I discovered some feathers on my lawn. They're either from a Hairy or a Downy Woodpecker. Now I must admit that my first reaction was regret: another statistic in the bird column. Then I began to consider the situation more. Maybe, just maybe, the bird that met its demise was the one I've been battling with for years. We've had a pesky woodpecker that insists on claiming our house as its territory, furiously pecking three inch holes all over our house. It's really quite maddening and expensive. Perhaps, with luck, the cat followed its instinct and eliminated a bad egg from the gene pool. Nature and Darwin in action to my benefit. That would be pretty great.

So, as I pondered that question I decided to make a journal quilt from it all. Here are two feathers from the deceased, attached to a black fabric that was stamped with the end of a broken plastic children's toy. The red lines were created with embroidery.

Comments

very graphic, love the simplicity!
Vivien..you are a hoot..I laughed out loud reading this entry and then was really quite touched by your quilt. Not to mention you committment to your weekely journals.
Nikki said…
I really like the touch of red with the black and white.
pcoxdesign said…
I love your writing style! I think your piece is great! Keep going.
Cheryl said…
I do weekly quilts too and am on my second year of the same size as yours! I love your blog, and will be watching your weeklies! :) Best of luck.
Vivien Zepf said…
Thanks for your all your support! I really appreciate it.
Those feathers are marvelous. What kind of a bird has polka-dot feathers?
Jeri said…
Hi Vivien. Nice to see your blog and follow your weekly entries. Your sense of adventurousness and attention to detail is inspiring, and I am glad you are blogging.The bird piece is wonderful, and reminds me why my cats are prisoners in my house!
Enjoy!
Jeri
A journal quilt ... what a great idea ... you have stumbled onto something wonderful ... and what a great sense of humor! Keep going!

Feel free to visit my blog either the link at the bottom of the message or livenlasvegas.blogspot.com. Either way have a great ... you know.