Journal #4

I always enjoy looking through the Christmas and holiday cards one last time before throwing them out. Boy, am I glad I did so carefully this week. The card we received from Heifer International had a beautiful piece of folk art adhered to its cover. The cover art, called a Maisa Card, was designed and handmade by artisans from Nicaragua. In the interior of the card it explains that, "This Maisa Card is made with dyed corn husks by women from two rural communities in Northern Nicaragua, one of the poorest corners of the country."

I think the art is just beautiful. I'm thrilled -- and humbled -- to include it in my journal quilt because I think it's simple, yet very powerful. It gives me pause to think about the women who created it with far fewer resources than I have at my disposal.

This is "Maisa". It includes the Maisa art (removed from the body of the card), loose weave parchment and natural stone beads.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This quilt is so cool. I like the corn. Did you know that "mais" in Italian means "corn." Maybe that's why the piece is called "maisa."

I think that you need to start using more people in your quilts-- its easier for the viewers to connect with what they see. Maybe, once you teach me how to sew, I'll make a whole collection of hands. Hands are the most expressive part of the body, you know. Deaf and mute people communicate using just their hands- I think that's so powerful.

This is fun. The only time I've commented on a blog is Ms. White's blog in Tech class, and I had to answer a silly question about SmartCars.

ilu
Vivien Zepf said…
I'm so glad you wrote a comment, Sydney! I hope you check in and leave me notes OFTEN! ILU2
she is very vibrant, i like this piece a lot! I think I agree with Sydney, do people in your quilts. and maybe the two of you can make a collaborative project of hand quilts?