Sleeping In



My pajamas and robe were calling to me on Sunday.  The night before had been the fundraiser I'd organized for my church.  It seemed the head cold started just moments after I walked in the door after it was all over.  Fortunately, I gave myself the time to rest on Sunday.  I bundled up, slept for hours, drank lots of fluids, and felt better pretty quickly.  Not perfect, but definitely on the mend.

It's that time of year when I'm reminded how important it is to do a bit of self-care.  It's easy to get all caught up in the holiday spirit and then over commit.  It's no fun to spend this time, which is supposed to be about gathering with loved ones, sniffling behind tissues or battling a fever.

And, if that's not enough of a reason to rest, here's another.  Scientific studies, like this one and this one, have shown there's a link between being sleep deprived and the increased probability you'll crave foods or eat to soothe, as opposed to being truly hung.  Another reason to make time for sleep.

So, take it easy. Sleep in or take a nap.  Give yourself time to be healthy.  And get a flu shot if you can.    I'm keeping my calendar clear for a few more days so I can practice what I preach.

Off to snooze.

Comments