Halloween Reading

I'm amazed it's almost Halloween. My youngest daughter asked if I'd decorated; this is one of her favorite times of year.  She's off at school and I'll admit it's not the same without her giggling in my ear about where we should put everything.  Nevertheless I couldn't resist putting up some of our favorites like the murder of crows, eyeing us from their perch above the kitchen table.



It seems my reading also takes a turn to reflect the season. Are you interested in something good to read to match the Halloween mood?  Here are some of my recommendations, books old and new, fiction and non-fiction, to get you into the spirit.

NON-FICTION:


Erik Larson's account of the majesty of the Chicago World's Fair is also chilling in the telling of the serial killer who haunted the halls of the event.


From Here to Eternity is about death rituals around the world.  It might be macabre for some to learn about an open-air crematorium in Colorado or you might be fascinated.  The book's not meant to be frightening, but some might not want to read about what other cultures do to honor their dead.

FICTION:


Ah, Rebecca The book that introduced me to the potential creepiness that can be contained in delicious and quiet prose. A classic.


Theodora Goss has a bit of fun with Victorian heroes and villains in her book, The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter.  Can you imagine what would happen if the daughter of Dr. Jekyll met up with a survivor of Dr. Moreau's island?  And, what if they joined forces with Sherlock Holmes to solve murders in London?  It's a fun offshoot from some old horror stories.



Comments

Norma Schlager said…
I love your crows! Even tho I have no one at home I still do a little decorating and I love to see the little kids come for trick or treat.

I did read Devil in the White City a few years ago and really enjoyed it.