Bittersweet

The last two-ish weeks have been a mishmash of luxuriating in the the company of family and nature,  speeding through to-do-lists, and giving bittersweet hugs.

We started the month with a lovely week in California, alternating between doing nothing and exploring. I re-read some Harry Potter books, though I had lots of new books waiting for me on my Kindle.  Do you ever do that?  Revisit a particular book or series?  I was in the mood for a good yarn in which good triumphed over evil.  I knew how it would all turn out and that's what I wanted/needed in the quiet moments, when I wasn't sitting with my eyes closed, absorbing the sun and the sounds of nature.  On the flip side, it was also a vacation with LOTS of new adventures.  We went riding on the beach

A view from our ride
and hiked to the top of a mountain.  The rewards for this were a spectacular view and, as we hiked down the other side, a mountain lion which crossed our path about 20 yards ahead of us.  Added bonus: (s)he left us alone.

Can you spy the lone picnic bench at the top?
When we returned, it was a mad dash to run errands and pack because my youngest was heading off to college in Indiana.  I've reached that time that parents are proud of and dread.  Children starting that final march to independence.  We're so proud of all that our children have done and become and will do, but we'd still like to take care of them when they have a stomach ache.  But now we can't.  This is part of the thrilling and maddening end to our being that actual place of solace and support.  Now we're the voice over the phone, telling them it will be okay.    But it's all good.  My daughter is safely and happily moved into her dorm at Notre Dame.  Her new and exciting life phase has begun.

Ready to head off

But I'm not quite done yet.  I am back in California.  I drove home from Indiana on Sunday and hopped on a plane Monday morning to meet my son.  (Sidenote: I was airborne during the eclipse; we crossed its path over St. Louis.  The sky and the plane interior slowly got grayer, as if a major storm was approaching and we were flying through clouds.  Then it suddenly went dark.  It was so eerie and cool!)  My son and I are no spending a few days together before he heads back to school (also in CA).  I am, once again, going to revel in the luxury of doing nothing, and spice it up with periods of actually doing something (though what that will be remains to be seen).  All I do know is that I'm off to a good start. I woke up unexpectedly early this morning and finished my book, The Nature of the Beast, by Louise Penny.  I'm a fan of her Chief Inspector Gamache series and I made the effort to carry the physical book with me.  It didn't disappoint.



I also recently finished The Midwife's Revolt by Jodi Daynard.  I didn't realize that it, too, is a part of a series.  However, this series is historical fiction about women during the time of the American Revolution.  The Midwife's Revolt has Abigail Adams as one of its main characters, though not the protagonist.


I think I may read The Radium Girls next, by Kate Moore. It's an account of what became of the factories full of women who painted radium onto WWII equipment so it would glow in the dark.... as they eventually did from radiation exposure.


What are you reading?  Any recommendations?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Viv, the empty-nester. So nice to know you flew over my head yesterday as I was watching the eclipse in Kansas City. All the best to Miss M. I'm sure you'll enjoy the next 4 years of ND football. Ging