In the Thick of Things....

It's been a busy few weeks here.  For the most part, I've been immersed in research, meetings, and writing for my role as docent trainer for the upcoming exhibition at the Katonah Museum Art.   I'm learning so much and I absolutely love it.   The exhibition opens at the end of March and I'm already very excited about it.  I'll be sure to give a summary here in the next few weeks.

Not to give the wrong impression, I've also been having loads of fun.  At the end of January, three college girlfriends and I got together for a weekend in NYC.  We hadn't all been together since one of the girl's wedding 18 years ago.  Despite the very cold weather we walked around the city, ate and drank, saw The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime -- which I highly recommend, went to a comedy club, and stayed up talking until 2AM two nights in a row.  I don't recover that quickly from such late nights any more but it was worth it!

Four gals in the City
I also had a Friday - Sunday weekend away at my daughter's dance competition/convention.  I don't know where she finds the stamina for dancing on Friday night, going to Saturday classes 8-3PM, competing group dances until 10PM, and then up again for more classes on Sunday from 9-2.  Somehow, I get exhausted during these weekends even though I'm not doing any dancing.

Dramatic lighting during her solo
No, she's not falling; she's somehow she's balancing

I also sent off my contribution to Virginia Spiegel's Fiberart For A Cause fundraiser.  On February 4th, 100 generous folk donated $100 to the American Cancer Society.  In return, 100 artists donated artwork to send to these patrons as a thank you.  I was honored to be asked to be a participating artist and I Dreamt of Spring went to a new home this past week.

I Dreamt of Spring, ©Vivien Zepf, 2015
This piece is a bit of a departure from other works of mine; actually, I think it's an evolution.  I've done lots of work with paints, watercolor, and fused appliqué, but not all together with hand stitching thrown into the mix as well. I think this was the perfect opportunity to give it all a try.  I'm pleased with the results and I hope the donor is as well.  The stitched painting (I don't know what else to call it since it doesn't have batting or quilting) is 10" x 12" and mounted to an 11" x 14" canvas.  I'd love your feedback.  What do you think?

And now, it's off to bed.  There's lots to do tomorrow: more writing, a trip to the vet (Harvey sliced off a part his paw pad on the ice and needs the bandages changed tomorrow), and hanging with my husband and daughter who will both be home tomorrow.  Hope you're staying warm; it's supposed to be -4 here tonight.  Brrr!

Comments

Norma Schlager said…
I love your donation piece, but not sure what to call it. Mixed Media perhaps?
I want to see that play, too. We had plans to go in a couple of Sundays ago but it was too bitter cold. Looks like you had a great time with your friends. Such beautiful smiles on all of you!