Mondrian's Drop Cloth

I recently finished an experimental piece of artwork.  I gave a sneak peek of it in my first newsletter, and now I'm ready for the full reveal.

Mondrian's Drop Cloth, 12.5" x 12.5" ©Vivien Zepf
All of the pieces that "read" as solids -- the reds, yellows, and black -- are painted paper towels, including the binding strip on the left side.  It was fun to see what I could do with an unexpected material, but I suppose that's only true because nothing tore while I was working with it.  I must confess that I toughened up the paper with a bit of gel medium in some parts and lightweight fusible interfacing in others in order to compare and contrast how things worked.  I've learned some lessons, both in composition (I haven't created an all abstract piece in a long while) and in how to use the paper. I hoping to experiment more.  Stay tuned....

Comments

Norma Schlager said…
I like the texture that you achieved with the paper. I would not have thought of backing it but it certainly makes sense. It's a very nice little piece!
Cindy Green said…
Wow, I love it! The color blocks, the circular quilting, the use of paper, fabric, and paint - it all works together very well! Beautiful!