Facing Life with Attitude

A flower for Karen

For those of you who don't know me outside of the internet, you might have been wondering why I've been gone from blogging for so long; my sister, and only sibling, passed away unexpectedly at the beginning of January.  It's been a difficult time, but my family and I are beginning to be able to move forward and I find myself today with the time and the desire to blog.

So here I am, starting the blogging year in February.  I'll start by telling you that the word I selected for the year is "attitude".  I decided on "attitude" because I realized that most aspects of our lives, whether they are art-related or not, are influenced by our attitudes towards them.  For example, I hosted my oldest brother-in-law's 50th birthday party less than 24 hours after we returned home from our week-long Christmas trip.  When I first heard about the timing, I felt overwhelmed and panicky.  But I came to realize that my attitude towards the event was all wrong. This was going to be a wonderful opportunity for the whole side of my husband's family (all 23) to be together.  It was going to be FUN.  Once I adjusted my attitude, everything about the party was a joy.

All ready for a PARTY (and it was great)!

I'd like to look at everything more joyfully, to enjoy the ride as opposed to worrying about the speed bumps.  I suspect it will have positive implications across the board.  How will it impact my art?  Well,  I'm going to try to be more process-driven, as opposed to product-driven.  To that end, I've signed up for a year-long master class that will allow me play without specific projects in mind.  I'm hoping to decide what I like and don't like about my art making.  For example, is my quilting more minimalist because that's my style or because I'm not that comfortable with it?  I'm looking forward to a year of discovery.  It should be fun and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I have a few weeks until my class starts and there's lots to do before then.  I'm hopeful I'll soon have something new to show you.  Until then, I'd like to leave you with this excerpt from the book, A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny.  There's a character in the book who's an accountant.  Each day he wanders off to "do his sums" and everyone assumes that he's a stingy, money-hungry fellow who's tallying up columns of cash.  Not so...

"You asked what I count each evening and each morning. What I
counted each day in [POW] prison while better men withered and
died.  Do you know the sums that I do? -- I count my blessings."

 That's the attitude I want to grab each day. 
  

Comments

Norma Schlager said…
I'm so glad to see you blogging again even though I know it's been a tough couple of months for you. My sympathies.
Cindy Green said…
It's true, Vivien, it is all about how you view things. You have always seemed like such a positive person already, but I guess we all have our down times. So glad you are taking these positive steps forward (and so sorry about your sister)