There's Still More to Do

Today is our last day in Paris; I don't know how it happened.    We were here for five days but there's still so much to see and do!  Thank heavens I extended our stay in Paris by a day; I would have been more disappointed than I already am.  BUT, I think it's always good to leave with things to do and places to see on your "to-do" list so that a return trip is more appealing.  Still, I'm sure we'll watch Paris wistfully as we take a morning train to Avignon tomorrow.

Not to sit idly on our last day, we went to the Musee d'Orsay.  As we waited in the entry queue, we were entertained by this wonderful quartet.  Why is it that the accordion sounds so romantic in Paris (and in Italy)? I'm not such a fan when I hear it in New York.


I was so disappointed that photographs weren't allowed in the museum.  My shutter finger was just itching to take pictures. Does anyone know why photography isn't allowed especially since non-flash photography is permissible at the Louvre?  (My girls were actually glad photography wasn't allowed because they thought I would have taken four times longer... they have a point.)

If you've never been to Musee d'Orsay, definitely go on-line to see this beautiful train station that was converted into a spectacular art museum.  I got to see Van Gogh, Renoir, Cezanne, Pisarro ... oh, the list goes on and on.  Next time I come to Paris (see, I'm planning already!), I'm going to try to do a bit more research and/or try to get on some lecture circuit and/or talk with a curator.  I would love to know why some of the paintings are behind glass and others are not.  Why some of the paintings from the same time period (Renoir's in particular comes to mind) are so cracked and others look pristine -- what was the difference in their provence?  So many questions and not enough space in the suitcases to bring home one of the catalogs.

We were allowed pictures from the clock, so here's one photo to prove I was at the museum; if you enlarge it a lot, you can see Sacre Coeur in the background.  The children in the photo are strangers, but I like that you can get a sense of scale with them in front of the clock.


From Musee d'Orsay we walked to Musee Rodin.  This museum is dedicated solely to Rodin and is housed in a beautiful mansion with rose gardens.  Rodin is one of my favorite sculptors and I was all a-flutter when I saw Le Penseur (The Thinker).


Here's the Burghers of Calais.  A study Rodin created for this piece is on display in the interior of the museum.




I knew that Rodin created quite a collection of work in his lifetime, but I was unprepared to see so many of them all in one place. From studies, to bronzes, to marbles -- it was remarkable.  We were able to take pictures of most of the works on display, but not all.  Some of the marble sculptures were arranged throughout the rooms,


while others such as The Kiss, were in a separate room where photography wasn't allowed.  My memory will have to serve.

We made our way back to the hotel via a route that would take us past Paul, our favorite sweets shop.  We've become partial to their macaroons.  We picked up a box of mini macaroon fruites rouge (twelve delicious small red macaroons in raspberry, cherry, violet, poppy, and rose combinations).  We plan to eat them on the train tomorrow.


Comments

Unknown said…
Be sure to sing "Sur le Pont d'Avignon" for me once you get there....preferably sur le pont!
Norma Schlager said…
When I was in Paris a few years ago I was surprised that photography WAS allowed. Apparently they've changed their policy. But I did LOVE that museum.