Monday, April 8, 2013

Summer's Kiss

You saw my poppies in my previous post, inspired by Francis Thompson's poem, The Poppy. (Read the whole poem here.)  I have a love affair with the poppies that grow in my garden and I can never seem to have enough poppy photos.

Upon reflection, I realize it's probably no surprise that I was inspired by this poem; spring is in the air and the season of the poppy is approaching.  And thus it was, after my failed autumn-inspired piece, that I started work on Summer's Kiss, my new piece for our FANE exhibition, Poetic Fragments.  Aside having to be inspired by a line (or two) of poetry, our artwork also had to be created of more than one part and fit into a 14" square, adhered to an 18" square canvas.  My individual poppies certainly meet that requirement, but I took it a step further and made four separate background pieces.  I was in full watercolor crayon mode and all the fabrics for the piece were created using the crayons.

Summer's Kiss, 14" x 14"

To see this and all the others pieces by members of our group, please go to the Mahopac Public Library Gallery any time from April 28th through May 30th.

3 comments:

norma said...

It's probably a good thing that your original thought was a no-go. This one is wonderful!

Kristin L said...

Charming. I like that you broke up the background too -- that's a nice unexpected turn.

Cindy Green said...

Yes, it's such a happy piece, and those poppies really pop! Beautiful! This show is going to be fantastic!