Where I've Been

Hello!  I'm so excited that I'm writing in my blog, but I must remember to keep it short or I'll be here all day, babbling on and on to make up for lost time.

So, what have I been up to this last month?  Well, I've had bits and spurts of art.  I went to second half of the Masterworks exhibit at the American Folk Art Museum.  I was so sad to hear the very next day that the museum would be closing.  I also attended the opening for Susan Schrott's solo exhibition at the Flat Iron Gallery.  To date, I think Susan's sold four pieces!



I took a trip to New Jersey to learn screen printing from a master: Rayna Gillman.  I had to leave before the end of class to meet the children after school, but I was so happy I went.  I've discovered that I love screenprinting!  Here are a few samples of what I made that day:





I've been doing lots of editing, working on articles for both the Summer and Fall SAQA Journal issues.  I've learned a lot and have had many interesting email exchanges with contributing artists.  So, so cool!

I haven't spent much time in the studio because a large portion of the spare time has been taken up by physical therapy.  I finally reached my breaking point and decided I had to do something about the hip pain I was having, left over from an injury at Thanksgiving.  I started in May and the sessions, including travel time, take about 2 1/2 hours.  Do that three times a week and you've lost a big hunk of time.  But I'm finally seeing some improvements; too bad I've used up all the sessions allowed by my doctor's orders.  I'll see what comes next.  Nonetheless, here's the last piece I worked on.  It was for my Textile Abstractions group challenge; the theme was "text". 

Bet you can't guess what this one is called...
I took a few hours one morning and was filmed for a "Letters to the Editor" segment for the upcoming, "In Stitches" e-mag.  My film debut!  We'll see if they use my footage.  My dear friend, Jane Davila is the editor for In-Stitches and I'm so excited for her.  And, my website is LIVE!  You can check it out at www.VivienZepf.com .  There are still a few photos and quilts to upload, but it's available for viewing.  Many and sincere thanks to Jane for doing this, as well.  She is a very talented woman!

This week I sent off my quilt for Sacred Threads and a small piece to be shown at the Morris Museum gift shop, in conjunction with a Fiber Revolution exhibit starting June 23rd.  



And, in between all this, I've planted my vegetable garden (it took me a week) and have been taking pictures when I can.  

Look - my first red pepper flower!

Sometimes I love the drama of black and white.

Now,  I'm hoping to go off and spend about an hour in my studio before my youngest gets home from school.  Lots to do:  SAQA auction piece, Textile Abstractions piece, Fiber Revolution piece.....

I'm so excited!
                                               

Comments

Norma Schlager said…
Wow, you have been busy. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Sue Reno said…
Your new website looks great, congratulations!
Marti said…
Vivien, I am so happy for you - lots of creative outlets for you, lots of opportunities. You are so talented; you deserve it!
KathyB said…
The screen printing class must have been fun! Just seeing your pieces gives me the urge to try it myself. I can imagine you will stretch in many new ways using this, to create your beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing. I could apply this to my own fiber art. Stop by and see my efforts at kbartdesigns.com